Monday, January 29, 2007

Sunshine and Light



Ellie is not me; I needn't have worried so about the jealousy.

When Ellie came to meet Ada in the hospital, Ada was in the bassinet and I was in the bed, waiting for Ellie with open arms, as suggested by all the books. Later, after we'd snuggled a bit, I asked Ellie if she'd like to meet the baby. She certainly would! And Ada had a little present for Ellie, but Ellie immediately tried to give it back. "Baby's!" she said. We've been home for several days now, and Ellie is still uninterested in that present.

"Ellie, do you have to go potty?" her daddy will ask her.

"No!"

"Ada and I will come along and sit where you can see us," I offer.

"K!"

Ellie also loves holding Ada. She'll come up to me while I'm nursing and hold out her arms. "K? K? K?"

She's thrilled to hold the baby for about a minute, then she's done, then she wants the baby again moments later. We're happy to oblige her, and Ada is quite tolerant. I also get down on the floor with Ellie in her room a couple of times a day, making sure that we have plenty of Ada-free 1-on-1 play time, though Daddy is doing a lot of the Ellie care lately (e.g. potty trips, diaper changes, and pony tails). We'll certainly miss him when he goes back to work, though his mother will be here to help.

There's so much more to write! Ada's birth story, my sister's birth story (Arria was born one day after Adelaide, and their names were almost much more similar), and more details than anyone could ever want about sleep and breastfeeding.

But right now, both girls are asleep and I'd be foolish to miss the opportunity to follow their lead!

9 comments:

EloH said...

Congratulations on the new arrival!
~Nella

Canada said...

What a wonderful picture!! I'm so glad Ellie is enjoying the big sister role. And sweet dreams to you.

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, Nella!

Canada, I had a delightful nap this afternoon.

Thanks, SK. For my own reasons, I've been feeling that bittersweet feeling - I am cherishing this time, yet mourning too, thinking that I might never get to do it again (when I'd always really really wanted at least 3 children).

PPB, thank you! It hasn't been popular in this country since about 1920, but I love it too.

Casey said...

Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Welcome to the World Sweet Adelaide!! And Congratulations to Big Sister Ellie and to Mom and Dad too!

Many, many blessings.

Krupskaya said...

What a great big sister Ellie is! So careful! (Here I am posting like I'm talking to her.) Oh, I love that picture. Girls just rock.

themikestand said...

Congratulations! I'm happy and excited for all of you. Now put down the keyboard and get some rest.

thistle said...

That is truly a lovely picture. Ellie looks so proud and happy. There are some good sides to the big sister gig, as I recall from my own youth :)

Orange said...

Your hair looks terrific and those glasses are so cute!

(The kids aren't bad, either.)