Sunday, January 14, 2007

Shiver

Did you think my weekend silence might have indicated labor and delivery? Wrong!

It hasn't been all thumb twiddling, though. We did have an ice storm on Friday night. Ellie and I went to lunch with Paul at his office's cafeteria (they make individual pizzas on Fridays) and during the 45 minutes we were inside, the temperature fell from 60 to about 40. Overnight it continued to rain and get colder, so we awoke on Saturday to a fantastic wonderland, all the trees perfectly encased in gleaming ice, all the flags frozen stiffly in place.

Ellie enjoyed throwing the ice to watch it shatter on the driveway, brushing her unmittened hand against the frozen evergreens, and splashing in the puddles. It's been especially lovely because the ground hasn't frozen so it's not treacherous to get around. Branches and entire trees are falling everywhere, though. We've lost several branches from our trees, and lost power for a few hours yesterday. We are among the lucky ones; 60% of our suburb was without power this morning.

Paul and I often claim that there's not enough cold and snow around here, but it's also true that the beautiful ice storm we get nearly every January is a stunningly impressive part of the weather here that's much less common where we're each from.

So. Under 13 hours until my doctor comes back on duty. I'm thinking I can make it, given my lack of progress over the weekend.

At church this morning, everyone was surprised to see me. The woman who usually sits in the pew behind us has been asking me "how many weeks do you have left?" since my 20th week. Last week she commented on my plaid jumper, and this week she just looked at me and threw up her hands. I used to be annoyed by this; now I think it's funny. Really, without a sense of humor, what do I have?

I'll be laughing especially hard when I deliver a 7 pound baby instead of the 10 pounder that everyone seems to be expecting.

4 comments:

Canada said...

Or the twins they're looking for ("maybe one is hiding" - how much room do they think there is to hide in there, anyway!!??)

Best wishes for a safe and speedy delivery.

And I'm glad you have a sense of humour about it all. What used to make me laugh when I was pregnant with twins was the huge difference in perception that people have. Some people would say "Are you sure you're having twins? You're really not so big" while others would comment "Oh, TWINS!! That's why your belly is so huge". Whatever!

Sarahlynn said...

PPB, no, no! I want that 7 pounder! Seven beautiful, healthy little pounds.

Canada, that would explain things! I mean, I don't know how a whole baby coupld hide with all the ultrasounds I've had, but it would certainly explain why one normal sized baby would need all this incredible belly. And it would explain Paul's dream the other night that involved us fighting over our third daughter's name. What third daughter?!

There's a woman I know who's due about a month after me, and she's tiny. Everytime we see each other, we look uneasy. I'm freakishly large, making her feel unhealthily small, and vice versa. Or something. There's lots of variety in the "normal" state, it seems!

BriteLady said...

Size is all relative anyway. My SIL who's expecting twins is just starting to need maternity pants at 13(ish) weeks...I couldn't button a thing by about 8 with one baby (my abdomen looked rounded in clothes by 10-12 weeks). And I'm measuring exactly on dates so far. I actually feel like my belly looks bigger this time around, though I've gained quite a bit less weight overall...maybe because it's so much more obvious that the weight is baby and not just my fat butt and arms :)

7 pound baby or 10 pounds (or hiding that invisible twin), as long as you and the baby are healthy after the deliver, then it makes so little difference how big or little you felt while pregnant (except for the obligatory stories that begin "When I was pregnant with you...." that moms like to embarrass their kids with) :)

Moreena said...

Just checking for a baby update. And I cannot believe that you are doing applications at this moment. I am truly in awe.

Sending you easy labor and healthy baby thoughts.