Sunday, January 21, 2007

Senioritis

Remember that end-of-semester feeling, that just-before-break feeling, the way it felt the last weeks of high school after you'd been accepted into college?

I've been feeling that way for weeks. It was hard to concentrate - or care - at work. Lately, it's been hard at home too.

Paul has been feeling less motivated at work too. Every day, he thinks he's about to be called home to rush to the hospital, which keeps him from caring quite as much as usual about his work. He's ready for a 2-week "vacation."

My mom - expecting 2 grandbabies weeks ago - is feeling much the same way.

And now me . . . I've been impatient with Ellie's increased demands on me. I've been short with her. I've been trying to think about why, and this is what I've come up with.

I love her. I appreciate her need for cuddles and snuggles and reassurances, knowing that it won't be too long before I'll long for these days again. But this has been my life, unremittingly, for over 3 years. I'm actually looking forward to 2 days in the hospital, for labor, for time with a new baby, for family being here and taking over Ellie care - for a break from my life.

Well, all that plus I'm tired and sore and uncomfortable.

I have it much better than my sister, though. She's a week overdue herself, and has suffered for the last couple of months. She's got horrible edema - she's so swollen that she can barely operate her cell phone with her clumsy fingers. And her blood pressure is way high, causing vision issues and general fear and discomfort. She's showing no signs of being ready for labor (I'm talking about her cervix here, for those who care) so her doctor is reluctant to induce. She has regular blood work to check for pre-eclampsia and is on bedrest until she either goes into labor on her own or a c-section becomes much safer than waiting any longer.

One way or another, there should be two new babies in the family this week!

10 comments:

jennifergg said...

Fingers crossed!

Angela said...

Best wishes to you and your sister this week!

Sarahlynn said...

Thank you, Jennifer and Angela! Under 24 hours left!

Jessica said...

Need us to come get Lizzi? That way, any visiting family only need care for Ellie? Let us know - we are more than happy and she is welcomed to stay for as long as needed.

(Obviously, we would prefer to switch the two - take Ellie and leave Lizzi, but I'm not delusional).

Seriously, let us know what we can do to help - we want to help.

Psycho Kitty said...

Having been absolutely HUGE with both kids, I will just point out that what really counts is how big their little heads are. (Just for the record, the Boy's first nickname was "10-percent head". Bless him!)
Here's hoping you have the most beautiful, small-headed child on the block. :)
xo

Sarahlynn said...

Tina, Ellie gets lots and lots of reassurance, never fear! Regardless, it will be a big transition.

SeasonalKat, thanks!

Jessica, I do appreciate the offer. If family goes home earlier than expected, we might take you up on it. And please know that both of you are "on the list" as people who can pick Ellie up at school, just in case anything comes up . . .

Sarahlynn said...

PK, excellent point! So to speak.

thistle said...

Good luck, Sarahlynn! And to your sister, too. It must be kind of cool to get to go through this together (right down to the two overdue deliveries, though I imagine you could do without that part!)

Krupskaya said...

I felt the EXACT SAME WAY about wanting a break when Maia was due. I was getting fed up with John and couldn't wait to have a little baby who did nothing but nurse and poop and cry and sleep. And hell yeah I took the whole 48 hours post-labor in the hospital. I wasn't going ANYWHERE until I had to.

More good thoughts to you

ccw said...

I don't blame you for wanting/needing a break. After I had Nonami the doctor told me I could go home the next morning. I said "no". Less than 12 hours in the hospital just because the healthy baby came out with me pushing twice. I stayed until they made me leave. It was the most rest I have had in the 3 years since NSBH came along.

I hope the baby is here by now and that you are both doing well.