Friday, January 26, 2007

Not a good first post, but a true one

There are lots of posts of sunshine and light to come. There are posts of my elation at Ada's birth, my happiness with how Ada and Ellie's first meeting went, my gratitude at how my youngest sister drove over from two states away and missed three days of work to stay with Ellie while I was in the hospital, so that Ellie got to feel like she was getting a special treat rather than being abandoned.

This isn't one of those posts. This is a 4:00 am post on our first night home all together. It's a post of extreme frustration.

I really really really didn't want to bungle this. I am still jealous of my middle sister, due in part, I'm sure, to how hard it was for my mom after MiddleSis was born. I'm sure that I got shorted, and I know that I've never quite gotten over it.

I made sure that Ellie had a cool big girl room and plenty of time to transition out of the nursery well before Ada was born. I made sure that Ellie had room to regress, to be held like a baby as much as she wanted, to crawl, to play with bottles, to avoid the potty, whatever. I was supportive; I didn't want her to feel like she couldn't do something she wanted to do just because of the new baby. I've never told Ellie that she has to be a big girl now because a new baby is coming, or anything like that.

I am not frustrated with Ada for not sleeping tonight. She is a newborn, as yet unclear on the concepts of night and day, and everything is brand-new.

I understand that Ellie is excited to have her daddy and me at home again, that she's excited to have the baby here, that she has a cold, that it's hard for her to sleep too. But she does know better; she does understand that it's nighttime and she should be sleeping.

So of course Paul and I are both up, trading turns with both girls, and we're both exhausted. Ellie's cold is driving me crazy. I can't keep her away from the baby entirely, and I'm not trying to do so because I don't want her to develop unnecessary resentment. But it's so hard for me to not freak out about those germs around the new baby. And, more selfishly, it's so hard for me to sit endlessly in Ellie's room when she's snotty and snuffly despite the Tylenol Cold - I have always hated hearing her struggle to breathe - and grinding grinding grinding her teeth.

And every moment, Ellie's inevitable dawn awakening grows ever nearer as my window for recovery in sleep closes further.

There are lots of great friends around here who have offered to help, to keep Ellie for us. That's very generous, but it won't work because Ellie wants to be here with her mom and dad. I think it would do irreparable harm to send her away on the first nights that the new baby is home.

What she needs - what we all need - is family here to help out so that we can take shifts and one adult can be sleeping at all times.

Because, you know what? I feel bad. I feel like I'm about 2 days post-partum. I feel squishy and squooshy in the middle, I feel sore on the bottom, I feel exhausted. My nipples are killing me (yes, yes, I'm wearing a good bra and plenty of lanolin; breast pain is just a natural part of the beginning of breastfeeding a new baby, especially one who loves to nurse and has a very strong suck). The afterbirth cramps really are much stronger with subsequent childbirth experiences.

My mother-in-law kindly offered to come help. And I gratefully accepted her offer, but requested that she come in a couple of weeks, when Paul goes back to the office and I'm trying to handle both kids alone during the day and take on more of the night shifts since he'll be having to be at work all day. I still think I'll really appreciate the help then. But I could use some help now, too.

You know, I don't begrudge MiddleSis the right to have family around her for the birth of her first baby. She had a traumatic experience with labor and delivery yesterday - more on that later. But this is her first child, meaning that she has a husband with whom she can trade off as necessary and no other children to tend. And his family lives nearby. And both of my parents are up there with them, even though they're still in the hospital and we're struggling through our first night at home.

I want to go back to the hospital. I want to say, hey, I've nursed this baby for 3 hours straight, I've made meaningful eye contact, I've sung to her and told her how much I love her. Now it's time for a kindly nurse to rock her in the nursery for a few hours so that I can sleep and Paul can be home with Ellie. 2 nights in the hospital weren't enough. Not nearly enough.

Having my mother here for well under 24 hours culminating immediately after I gave birth - before I'd even moved out of the recovery room! - was not nearly enough. It just sucks. And I'm tired and I feel bad.

But now I think Paul's gotten Ellie to sleep, at least for a little while, and he's walking Ada around the house, swinging her in her car seat, and she's quiet. I think I'll try to get some rest, now that I've vented some of my frustration here.

9 comments:

thistle said...

((((Sarahlynn)))

I'm so sorry things are hard right now. (But glad that there have been good things already, too, and certain there will be more and more).

Canada said...

I wish I could send the sleep fairy to your house. And I really hope Ellie feels better soon. Keep breastfeeding those antibodies to Ada, and do what you can to get some rest for yourself.

Amanda said...

Stay at home mom will to help out for a few hours. Don't mind having my non-sick child around your snotty one. We all appear to be healthy. Seriously, please call me, I can and am willing to help.

Littlemankitty said...

I'm sorry it's so sucky. But Ada is beautiful. And so are you.

Redhead Editor said...

You could have had my mother who came to visit with the first baby and asked me to do her laundry and make her lunch. She was sent home in 3 days and did not return for Baby #2. Sorry for your situation, but I just had to share that. Wish I still lived close. I'd be over in a jiffy. Hugs to you!

Mom said...

Newborns are intense. I love babies, but the first two months, before they are really into a sleep groove at all, always made me feel like a walking zombie. I was supposed to be on some emotional high, but I was just so zonked that I couldn't even enjoy the baby. And before two weeks you can't even take a long warm bath to ease the body aches. No fair.

If you can get a nap with the help of your husband, do it. It will restore you.

And remember, soon things will be better. In another four or five days the soreness will have lifted and the house will seem more peaceful.

Hang in there.

Angela said...

I truly admire your honesty. The lack of sleep thing is completely horrible, and I hope to God you are getting some rest as I type this comment. (At 10:51am on a Sunday, I realize it's highly unlikely.) Get well vibes go out to Ellie, and sleep tight vibes go out to Ada, who is such a beautiful baby!

Incidentally, if you want to borrow an Arm's Reach co-sleeper, I'm willing to deliver. It makes the middle-of-the-night breastfeeding thing a lot easier--even if only during your recovery phase!

Psycho Kitty said...

Aw, honey. I remember how friggin' hard that was.

Is there any possibility that you guys could swing the expense of a night nurse, either for the baby or for Ellie, if nothing else for the few weeks until your MIL gets there?

Sarahlynn said...

Thank you all for the sympathy!

This is one of those hugely cyclic things: when I've had a little sleep, life is wonderful. And when I haven't . . .

Thank you, thank you for those who have offered to help. I really appreciate it! And please know that things are going much, much better, after two roughly sleepless nights for all 4 of us.

I can't explain how much I am loving having a newborn around the house. It's priceless. And this part is so much easier than last time!

Angela, I swear by my Arm's Reach! And, thank you.

PK, not for me. Alas, no matter how asleep-on-my-feet exhausted I am, I can't sleep solidly when one of the kids is up and might need me. It's a guilt thing. I hope to lose it soon.