Thursday, January 18, 2007

I was a little hopeful . . .

First, let me say that I acknowledge all the literature suggesting that we can't exactly determine due dates, and inducing for being post-dates is therefore problematic, etc. But in my case, I know when my last period was, I know the first day I got a positive test result, and I know when my first ultrasound was. I'm pretty sure about the due date of this baby, and I'm pretty sure that she's "late." Also, I'm pretty sure that she's physically mature enough to be born! Since Paul's sister was "two weeks late" and suffering from serious post-maturity syndrome, that's something that I'm watchful of.

I didn't start trying to have this baby until the day after my due date. Here's what didn't work last week/end:
  • an "internal exam" by my large-handed OB
  • spicy Mexican food
  • ice cream with Splenda
  • regular (like, nearly daily!) sex
  • raspberry leaf tea
  • milkshake with chocolate and Splenda (I think Splenda's lost its "magic" with me)
Yesterday, I was 41 weeks pregnant. I had another appointment, this time for a non-stress test, which I found quite stressful, ultrasound, and visit with the OB. The ultrasound tech kept commenting on the extreme chubbiness of my baby's cheeks. And how hard it was to get a measurement around her belly. Seriously! Come on out, big healthy baby! Her verdict? 9+ pounds. We'll see.

The OB gave me a slightly "vigorous" internal exam, which he says can help start things off. And he scheduled me for an induction at midnight next Monday night/Tuesday morning. Not for size, for post-maturity concerns. But he did wonder aloud if I'd be able to deliver a 9-pound baby (for the record, he thinks 9 pounds is the high end of the range, bless his heart). I think I can. My pelvis was made for this.

Right. So I came home, where Paul was putting Ellie down for her nap after working at home all morning so that he could be here to meet her when she got off the school bus (!!). And we had some really good sex, hoping that that, in conjunction with the internal exam, might move some things along. (Aren't you just thrilled to know this about us? Lucky you!) Then he went to work and I, blessedly, took a nap.

After nap, I played with Ellie and took her to music class, where I popped up and down like everyone else. Before dinner, I walked around the block. Later last evening, I did 50 jumping jacks, which really freaked Paul out. Then we walked around the block again. Before bed, I spent 30 minutes hooked up to my fancy electric breast pump. In bed, we tried some relaxation and visualization exercises.

"Imagine that big bag of muscles working . . . "

All evening, I was having contractions about 15 minutes apart. I was getting hopeful . . .

And then I slept. Alas. Now I'm off for a longer walk.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck, Sarahlynn. I found the days after the due date excruciating. I was induced once and had #2 just a couple days before the second scheduled induction.

Anyway, where I kept imagining myself doing lots of reading and laundry and drawer-organizing and blogging, I mostly found myself weeping at re-runs of a baby story....

xxx
Anne

Sarahlynn said...

SeasonalKat, we're usually sleeping from about 1-6 each morning (we've been getting to bed late late late). Is that too much sleep, do you think? Perhaps we should just pull an all-nighter tonight and see what happens tomorrow. At this point, I'll try just about anything!

Anne, how long was that really long walk you took for #2? I am hopelessly huge and uncomfortable and could only manage about 25 minutes this morning. But as Induction Day gets closer, I'm thinking that I'll find a way to work through my discomfort . . .

Camera Obscura said...

#1-Son was "late" (and I was aware of cycle timing on him) and had to be threatened with "ejection" before he decided to make an appearance.

BTW, #2-Son was 9 pounds and "early" (hmpf) and I had no problem delivering him vaginally (other than a twice-enlarged episiotomy). I'm 5' 2".

Littlemankitty said...

Oh my. I got nothin. And I'm too lazy to change users, so I'm using my cat's id! PPB

BroccoliEater said...

Hey - mine were 9# and 10# at birth, and the 10-pounder came out with nary a tear. Stay upright as long as you can, since it opens up your pelvis by a *large* amount! You can do it - if you can convince baby its time to get moving!

Sara

Canada said...

Okay, you need to ramp it up a notch. Maybe Indian (vindaloo?) and a scary movie?

I just can't wait for future blog posts as this baby grows up "She's so stubborn!!! She insisted on tying her own shoes and walking out the door at her own pace!" Heh heh.

jennifergg said...

Big empathy from me! My first baby was three weeks late. The waiting nearly drove me nuts...I will keep a good thought for you, for strength.

Anonymous said...

Come on little one, everyone is anxiously waiting for the big news.

Krupskaya said...

Sending labor vibes...

Sarahlynn said...

Camera - ugh!

Coffeegirl, my guess is that the hope is that I'll be ready to deliver before the morning's appointments, or at least before the end of the work day. So convenient . . . for him.

LMK, I'd appreciate any prayers, if you're a prayerful type!

SaraV, good advice! I'm doing my deep knee bends now. Well, not *right now*.

Canada, it's amazing how much I can already tell about how her personality differs from her big sister's. So surprising!

Jennifer, Rebecca, and Krupskaya, thank you!