Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Weepy's World

I'm beginning to feel like a broken record. Perhaps I need to start blogging at a different time of day, like, say, right after the pumpkin spice latte I've been buying at Starbuck's this week. Yes, this baby gets caffeine and the last one didn't. This one had 1/2 a glass of wine before I knew that I was pregnant, too. She'll be fine. Or, at least, she won't be harmed by caffeine or alcohol.

So, more on Disney. After checking into our resort, we headed over to Disney-MGM Studios for the Playhouse Disney brunch. Ellie totally loved it, especially the dance numbers. She enjoyed Leo from the Little Einsteins, went nuts over his friend June (who she thought was Dora) and was thrilled to see JoJo and Goliath. My attention was elsewhere, and, for some reason, I couldn't stop crying.

Our little section of the restaurant had about 4 tables, seating a total of about 10 kids and their parents. 4 of the kids (at 3 of the tables) had Trisomy 21.

I had perfectly lovely conversations with both parents. All three other kids were adorable, wonderful, apparently healthy. I don't understand my emotional reaction at all, so I'll chalk it up to pregnancy.

Then we left and went to the Ralph's World show. Ellie was crazy for this show, even though she was nearly passing out from exhaustion. We skipped the autographs and pictures portion of the show to go back to the hotel for naps afterwards. But early in the show, Ralph invited all the kids down front to the "nosh pit," ("We often have snacks," hardy har har har) where they danced away for the rest of the show. Ellie loved this. And I felt like maybe Ralph and his guitarist were taking special note of our special little girl. I was still a little teary.

The next afternoon, we were at MGM again and had a little free time so we saw the show again (they played a different set each time, and the concert was only about 30 minutes long). Ellie loved the nosh pit even more this time, and this time I was sure of the personal attention; it was obvious.

As soon as he bopped out on stage, Ralph saw Ellie in the front row and acknowledged her. He jammed on over to his guitarist and nodded to Ellie, and the guitarist came down to the front of the stage to play for her. Several times.

Afterwards, we stuck around to meet the band, because we're groupies like that. As they were signing Ellie's new Ralph's World t-shirt (which she wouldn't let anyone else hold for the next several hours) and posing for a picture, Ralph told us that his younger sister has Down syndrome. Ah-hah! Not my imagination at all then.

Ralph's Work: Music For The Kids - They've released two childrens' CDs for charity, "For the Kids" and "For the Kids Too", benefitting people with Williams Syndrome, Down Syndrome and Autism. The song "At the Bottom of the Sea" appears on "For the Kids Too."

More: Order your cool Movers "Eight Feet" ringer T-shirt today. A portion of proceeds will benefit the Down Syndrome Association of Greater New Orleans and the Conductive Learning Center. Also stock up on Movers original music, video and apparel while you still can! Shop now


Napping after Noshing


Totally Noshing

7 comments:

Camera Obscura said...

Pregnancy made me a heart-on-my-sleeve-wearing weepy person. Alas, it didn't go away post-partum.

Christmas Eve service was the worst. I couldn't sing a-tall for choking up.

Gosling said...

Ellie's smile up there? Makes me giggle and grin. Thank you.
Amazon

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, Trisha and Gosling. : )

Camera, that sure sounds like me!

SeasonalKat, I can't imagine. Two. Two!

the squeaky mouse gets the cheese said...

My cynical side was very sad when I had to eventually admit to myself that I like Jojo's circus... and Charlie and Lola is excellent. Heck, I even like Daniel Cook.

I don't know this Ralph guy, but he sounds cool since he was good to Ellie. Hope you guys are having a great trip. -Mike

thistle said...

So glad you're all having a good trip :) How fun for Ellie to get some special notice from the star of the show!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a wonderful time!!! I;m betting the crying is a pregnant thing - it's all I did the entire time :)

Suzanne said...

Hi. Your daughter is a DOLL! My son also has Downs, and is still getting special attention from Ralph years after meeting him. I'm sure R was more than happy to make her smile but not to make you cry :(... hormones....waaahhh