Thursday, September 07, 2006

Sleep Diet, Reprised

  • Number of times Ellie got up last night: We lost count. More than 5 that I can remember.
  • How this compares to other nights over the past week or two: Par for the course.
  • Time she woke up this morning for good: I'm not sure. Really early. Paul? Paul?! [SNORE]
  • Length of Ellie's nap this afternoon: I don't know. It was in Paul's car on the way to pick up my car from the garage, just late enough in the afternoon to make bedtime tonight a challenge.*

I am so tired. And, also, very very pregnant. I think the two are probably related, but today I feel like a whale.

We had a weird experience last night. First, Ellie got her new orthotics, and they ROCK. I mean, they're just like mine, but cuter and much smaller! They're little inserts that fit into shoes. Regular shoes. So we went to Laurie's afterwards, to pick up some new Stride Rites. Some in her actual size, that aren't Extra Wide high tops to accommodate bulky AFOs. Wahoo!

We spent $100 on a pair of sneakers and a pair of black patent mary janes. Ack! But that wasn't the weird experience.

We were hungry after all that spending, Cici's Pizza was right across the street, and I'd heard that it's a good place to take kids. So we went.

After getting our drinks, Paul asked me if I'd noticed the young woman with Down syndrome at the table near the front. I had. But had he noticed that one of her dining companions had T21 as well? He had not.

Then I noticed that an elementary school aged girl two booths over had T21. And that the young woman and her dining companion were in fact part of a rather large party of young adults with Down syndrome all celebrating a birthday party (along with some chaperone-types).

And there was a woman making the rounds of all the tables, very chatty, who clearly had some sort of developmental disability.

And a couple on a date stopped me on my way back from refilling my soda to ask me some very intense questions about my pregnancy; I strongly suspected that they both had developmental delays too.

The restaurant isn't very big; it was dinner rush and the above mentioned customers comprised about half of the dining crowd. I was wondering if I'd stepped into some sort of Candid Camera situation, or if it was a special event that I didn't know about. Regardless, we fit right in!


* Oh, you caught that? Yes, my car's been in the shop this week. When my mom asked me what was wrong with it, I replied that it was getting 7 beautiful new 6-panel interior doors. Yes. My big fall home improvement dream "budget" went into my car for some obscure problem that I'm not sure really exists except as a phantom "check engine" light.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

We must see Ellie in her new black patent mary janes as soon as possible!! I think tomorrow will suffice.

ccw said...

Yeah for shoes! I'm sure Ellie loved her trip to Stride Rite. NSBH just picked out new rain boots at Stride Rite and she thought it was great.

Camera Obscura said...

When the kids hit the adult-sized shoes, I quit going to Lauries. I can get New Balance sneakers for $40 instead of $80 a pair at Shoe Carnival, and I'm guarenteed of finding the EEEEs the boys need. But yeah, when they wore kid sizes, we lived at Lauries. Save those reciepts! With 3 kids, I was using the discount almost every time I was in there.

But watch the sneakers with the orthotics -- never try on a pair without them. You may find you have to rip out the shoes' insoles to get enough room for them to lace over the top of her foot.

You know what used to make me feel sooooo much better when I was worn out from being pregnant with Daughter and chasing two toddlers around southern England? The spinach salad w/ hot bacon dressing they used to serve at TGIFridays. (There was one in Kingston-on-Thames, and they even served iced tea!) They don't have it any more, durn the luck. So make your own. There's just something about getting the iron from the spinach that seemed to "soak in" quicker than a pre-natal vitamin. And the sweet hot bacon dressing didn't hurt on the comfort-food level, either. (grin) Of course, my 40-hmmm year old intestinal tract doesn't handle raw spinach any more...

Camera Obscura said...

Oh, BTW I hate it when something practical eats something pretty or fun I had planned. I had the minivan's a/c system eat a trip to the beach two years ago. And then there was the time the dryer died in early December and I got a new one instead of the sapphire ring I'd been promised for Christmas.

Worse yet, the new dryer hates my husband. It manages to have its buzzer go off just as my husband steps in the back door (laundry room leads to garage) after work any time it's on. I hate pulling my husband down off the laundry room ceiling. (big grin)

Sarahlynn said...

Jessica, we'll pull out the new shoes tomorrow night!

CCW, those rain boots are awesome! Now I want some for Ellie. But clearly we've blown through her lifetime shoe budget already.

SeasonalKat, good luck with your car!

Camera, that salad sounds awesome! My mom serves something like that at Christmas. Which reminds me that I'm not going home for Christmas this year, for the first time ever. But maybe she'll come visit soon and make me a delicious spinach and bacon salad!

CJ said...

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Jessica said...

Hey, Sarahlynn - I could have just sent you an e-mail but I'm on blogs more than I am my inbox....

The suspense is killing me - who won Saturday night? How did Elizabeth do?

Sarahlynn said...

Jessica, Lisa was begging for me to end it, and I was just about to, when Adam swooped in and broke my road! Then I was landlocked and Randy took me longest road, flipped over a Victory Point, and the game was over! Elizabeth thought the ending was rather anti-climatic, but she did play very well. Especially considering all the wine! (It was a very fun evening.)

RNP, absolutely.

PajamaMama, I guess so!

flatflo said...

Settlers!

You were playing Settlers of Catan! It's amazing how many people I know that play it. My fiance and I are responsible for getting at least one more household hooked, too. I'ts contagious...