Thursday, September 28, 2006

Glowing in My Natural State

Doubtless, I'm still recovering from our busy September schedule, but I think that I'm also entering the more tired part of pregnancy. I never had much of that fabled second trimester energy burst, anyway. I often say that the second trimester is only high energy when compared to the first and third trimesters. (I'm in my 25th or 26th week of 40, so I'm still in the second trimester)

Anyway, late Tuesday morning, Ellie and I were driving home from visiting preschool classrooms, and I was so tired that I had a few moments of wondering if I was going to be able to make it all the way home. Fortunately, she crashed a couple of minutes before we pulled into our driveway, so I got a nap in my own bed.

Later that afternoon, there were a few things I really wanted to get done around the house, like moving her bookcase into her new bedroom and reorganizing the books, and I was so uncomfortable.

First, I was hot. I traded my pants for shorts but was still "glowing" vigorously so I ended up in nothing but my shorts and a bra for several hours. I'm sure this was a real treat for any unfortunate neighbors who happened to be about. (Ellie's room has no window treatments yet, and the front door was open as I strode about the house.)

And my belly kept getting in the way. The 511th time I bent over for a stack of books, I found myself wishing that I could just disengage the cumbersome thing and set it aside for a few minutes to get some things done.

It's times like these that I don't think my company is quite so ridiculous for treating childbirth as a "short term disability" like any other. My mobility is restricted. I can no longer regulate my own body systems the way I'm used to doing. Sometimes sharp pains shoot down my back/hip every time I take a step with my right foot. (I've tried just hopping along on my left foot, but that exacerbates the next two symptoms I'm about to complain about.)

Sometimes, when I have the audacity to sneeze, cough, roll over, or stand up imperfectly, I'm crippled by the most amazingly piercing pain as my distended uterus strains to break free from the weak ligaments tethering it to my body.

And then there are the contractions. I am annoyed by the term Braxton-Hicks (as if the contractions didn't exist before the one male doctor wrote about them 130-odd years ago). I am also annoyed by the suggestion that these contractions are "painless" or somehow different from the contractions of actual labor.

I've been through actual labor. The natural kind. And I can tell you that - for me - the contractions I feel from 20 weeks through the end of my pregnancies feel exactly like the contractions I felt during labor. They increase in intensity as labor progresses, of course, and become much more painful after my water has broken, but it's the same sensation.

Right. So now you know that being tired makes me a little grumpy.

7 comments:

Sarahlynn said...

Thank you, Emily Elizabeth, and I agree completely! I have always been pro-choice, but it was more of a theoretical position until I was actually pregnant for the first time. I was so uncomfortable so often, I couldn't imagine being in that position without desperately wanting to have that child.

halloweenlover said...

Your post actually makes me feel so much better, because I also had those STABBING uterine pains if I moved in some particular way, and I would scream at the books that told me that it was a mild discomfort, or painless.

I'm 28 weeks now, and have been having these feelings of strong pressure where my whole uterus clenches up, and I am figuring that it is braxton hicks, but I was wondering what they were talking about when they said painless!

I'm sure you look beautiful, though, even running around half naked and "glowing". : )

Camera Obscura said...

Hmm, I only had "belly in the way"-ness with Daughter. While carrying both boys in the shape of a beer barrel, I thought all those gags on TV about pregnant women not being able to get up out of chairs was stereotypical satire. Found out differently, I did.

I was pregnant, nursing, or both for FIVE SOLID YEARS (sorry 'bout the yelling). Talk about wanting your body back...

Sarahlynn said...

Halloweeenlover, I had no idea that we were due so close together. Congrats on your pregnancy!

SeasonalKat, oh, that little problem *never* happens to me. Unless I sneeze or cough, of course. ;)

I loved being pregnant last time, too. I don't know why I'm having a harder time enjoying it this go-'round. I think I'm scared.

Camera Obscura, that's interesting (about the boy vs. girl pregnancies). I spread everywhere, but carry this baby right out in front in "notice me!" fashion, just as I did my last one.

Five solid years. Oh, wow. I probably would have taken up a brief flirtation with heavy drinking or illegal drugs after that, just because I finally *could*!

Anonymous said...

Ah, I remember this time so well. It seems so odd that in just a few months I will be watching my oldest daughter experiencing this.

Smithie said...

I'm so thrilled for Ellie (and you!) that she'll be offered appropriate services in an appropriate setting this year.

James flatly refused to complete his gross motor evaluation, but the cognitive and speech therapists declared him ineligible for funded services, so I guess that journey is over for us. He's doing The Little Gym this year, hopefully that will address the persistent abdmoninal hypo... tonsity? tensity? Anyhow, weak abs. There's no doubt he has weak abs.

I am so amazed at the way you can work, gestate and mother Ellie. I seriously don't know how you're doing it. I hope that your second newborn is as easy an adjustment as mine was. The minute I could put this baby down for a few minutes, I was all set and enjoying life.

Oh and I can't wait to take James to Disney...

Sarahlynn said...

Rebecca, I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

Smithie! You have another baby? I totally did not know this. Are you blogging anywhere?

Also, there are concerns with James's development? Ellie has low tone too, especially in her abdomin. It effects her gait and some motor coordination, but can be addressed with exercise so I'm totally not worried about it. Her therapists like to try interesting tricks like Kinesio tape (http://www.kinesiotaping.com/) and TheraTogs (http://www.theratogs.com/) but I remain politely sceptical.

(I only work while Ellie's in preschool, which isn't a great number of hours a week - just enough to keep me sane. It's a perfect system for me right now.)