Sunday, August 03, 2008

Cool

Sadly, this is not a post about how hip I am. (I am not hip.) (But I am cool.) (Recently, I was hot.)

On Saturday, we got a surprise gift for ourselves, a brand-new air conditioner.

We've been battling with our A/C for a long time, and it finally conked out for good on Saturday. Only my visiting mother, staying in the guest room in the nice, cool basement, slept well on Friday night. The rest of us were up and down, hot and cranky, and tempted to join her. If it hadn't involved setting up a bed or two in the middle of the night, we might have done it.

Our A/C repair people open shop at 8:00 am, and my mom, bless her heart, rang as soon as they opened. She was watching the girls in the basement playroom while Paul and I caught a little sleep in our room with both the ceiling fan and a box fan pummeling us with tepid air.

By 11:30 we had a brand-spanking-new air conditioning unit working away at the back of the house, cooling us down and decreasing the humidity so that we no longer needed gills to breathe indoors.

Ahhhhh.

Of course, now that we're poorer than we expected to be, we should cancel our planned autumn trip to Walt Disney World. But we probably won't, because we're irresponsible like that. And we're feeling a little giddy. Because we're cool! And the heat index was 113 at 7:00 pm today!

No comments: