Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I. Am. Not. Pregnant.

I figure that I've got two choices, if I want people to stop asking me if I'm pregnant/when I'm due all the time.
  1. Lose weight, or
  2. Stop wearing such loose-fitting shirts.
But you know what? I think my weight is my own business, unless I'm physically taking up some of your space (I'm not, by the way). And I like my loose-fitting shirts, no matter what size I am!

So that leaves me with one "choice."
  1. Get over it.
It's not like I run into a corner and sob when this happens. If I did, I'd spend time crying in corners a few times a week. But I do still find it mildly annoying, surprising, and invasive every time it happens.

Except when that waiter spontaneously brought me a refreshing glass of lemonade last week. That was OK.

7 comments:

Kathy G said...

I'm with you on the loose-fitting shirts! I think the only reason I don't get questioned any more is my age; there are advantages to being middle-aged.

I NEVER ask a woman if she's pregnant unless she's about 8 1/2 months along.

ccw said...

I have seen this happen in stores. The sales clerk always looks like she wants to crawl in the register when the customer responds that she is not pregnant.

My mom who never ever asks personal questions or makes personal remarks to stranger screwed up and did this once. She said the sales woman was thin everywhere but had a 5-6 month looking bump.

Sarahlynn said...

Kathy, yes! Unless she's wearing a skin-tight shirt, swaying her back, rubbing her belly, and talking about baby names.

CCW, my mom did that once, too . . . to a teacher who was undergoing treatment for cancer . . .

Tracey said...

I was always told not to comment about a potential pregnancy in someone else unless (a) THEY bring it up or (b) you can actually SEE the baby emerging at that moment.

Sarahlynn said...

I think that's a really good idea.

Because, you know, even when I was actually pregnant and loving it, I still didn't always appreciate people bringing it up. Over and over and over. Many times a day. Wherever I went. Occasionally I was tempted to point out that I am more than just a walking uterus. But I never did. Because that wouldn't be polite.

Tracey said...

EXACTLY! Just because you happen to be pregnant, it does not sum up the be all, end all of who you are. Sometimes its nice to talk about other things! Shocking. :)

Penny L. Richards said...

Yeah, I'm in the "get over it" phase. It's not my fault some people don't have a realistic sense of the female shape's many beautiful possibilities. Poor things look at too many magazines, I figure, where all the bellies are photoshopped away.... ;)