Monday, September 01, 2008

Friends Are Friends Forever . . .

Early last week, I dropped off Ellie at school. For the first time this year, she didn't run straight to the bean table after hanging up her backpack and selecting her name tag from the table. Instead, she veered left and went straight for the kitchen, got busy making lunch.

I got busy talking to the teacher about something else, and a few minutes later, I looked over to the kitchen and saw it full of little girls. Oh, how wonderful, I thought. Friends! But wait. Where was Ellie?

She was across the room in a corner reading nook, by herself. Still, as usual, etc. And it's not like that's likely to improve with age.

The ways in which it hurts so badly to be the mother of a child with special needs are not always the ones you imagine first.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(o)

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks. :)

Lady Liberal said...

It's hard, I know. My niece (also a Downs girl) is 12, nearly 13. She's at an age where she should be (and wants to be) having sleepovers and going to Hannah Montana concerts with other girls. But it's so ... different for her. Her speech is very very seriously delayed which makes making friends (even for a high functioning kid) so hard.
Her aunties and Mom try hard to pick up the slack. :)

Sarahlynn said...

I know that's Ellie's most likely future, but the way I get through today is by hoping against hope that it will be different for her. And by trying to surround Ellie with a network of friends now, while I can still help control that. But it's already becoming more difficult. And it hurts my soul.