Thursday, April 03, 2008

Privilege

Alas, a meme. Courtesy of PeripateticPolarBear.

(You're supposed to bold those that are true for you.)
  • Father went to college.
  • Father finished college. (Plus a Masters and two Doctoral degrees)
  • Mother went to college.
  • Mother finished college. (Plus two Masters degrees)
  • Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor. (my cousin is a physician and my grandfather was a professor)
  • Were the same or higher social class than your high school teachers.
  • Had more than 50 books in your childhood home.
  • Had more than 500 books in your childhood home. (I am told that all those boxes in the basement are full of books, but those are just the ones that won't fit on the shelves that are in every single room on the two upper floors.)
  • Were read children’s books by a parent.
  • Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18.
  • Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18 (clarinet, saxophone, dance, more dance, gymnastics, swimming, tennis, etc.)
  • The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively.
  • Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18.
  • Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs. (well, they paid for all of my room and board.)
  • Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs.
  • Went to a private high school.
  • Went to summer camp. (one weekers only, e.g. band camp, etc.)
  • Had a private tutor before you turned 18.
  • Family vacations involved staying at hotels. (though our pop-up camper was the preferred venue)
  • Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18.
  • Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them.
  • There was original art in your house when you were a child. (sure, my mom made some things for the walls)
  • You and your family lived in a single-family house.
  • Your parents owned their own house or apartment before you left home. (I assume that having a mortgage counts as "owning," but I could be wrong here)
  • You had your own room as a child. (except when I briefly and mistakenly chose to share with a sister)
  • You had a phone in your room before you turned 18. (I didn't, but my younger sister did.)
  • Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course. (MCAT - yes)
  • Had your own TV in your room in high school. (My parents would have sooner died. My sister, on the other hand . . . )
  • Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college. (I did have a CD)
  • Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16.
  • Went on a cruise with your family. (does Paul count? No, I guess I was an adult at 26.)
  • Went on more than one cruise with your family.
  • Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up. (so very, very many)
  • You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family. (I still have no idea how much my parents make or what their expenses are; they don't talk about money around us.)

Um, wow.

No comments: