Friday, July 06, 2007

Scotland 6

Sunday, 17 June

Our bathroom reeks of cigarette smoke.

After a full Scottish breakfast, we headed out in the vans for a full tour of the Isle of Skye. This was a day of lots of driving and erratic stops: when not expected, not when expected, and sometimes we'd wake the kids to find out that it was a 5 minute stop. Alas. All very hard on the girls. All three little girls are doing amazingly well, although the two babies scream in the late afternoon everyday and both of my girls are done by the time we get back to the hotel, making dinner a challenge. (Tonight I had roast beef with Yorkshire pudding and Paul had haddock. Ellie had more pasta and bread. Amazing that she's not suffering from digestive problems.)

The Isle of Skye: How can this be an island? Amazing scenery - desolate and wild and and beautiful and sophisticated all in turns. Such high mountains, such amazing views, huge lochs, waterfalls, cliffs. Our driver, Ewan, who's never been to most of the places we're visiting, mentioned repeatedly how odd he found it, barren with nothing growing by grass and heather. It all seemed pretty green to me, though certainly less so, with fewer trees, than the mainland. Och, how I love the accents. Ewan is no longer quite as incomprehensible to me.

Everyone really enjoyed the scenery all day. Except the girls. Ewan suggests t-shirts for the babies that say, "I went to Scotland and all I saw was the back of a seat." Hah! So true.

An especial favorite of everyone's today was the ruins of Armadale Castle, home of Clan Donald. We learned such a tragic story about the MacDonalds of Gencoe yesterday; this was a welcome antidote. The grounds were amazing, and it was quite lovely to wander around, reading signs and displays, taking pictures, venturing up nature walks, coming back together, separating again, meeting up with Jessica, nursing the babies in the van, etc.

Also here: midges! Night and day, apparently. I guess you get used to them. They liked Ada's head. Often, I have Ada and Paul has Ellie. They're a lot of work . . . but they're worth it!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Found out from the locals shortly after we moved here that summer in Scotland means midges, midges and more midges.

Stushie said...

Best way to get rid of the midges in Scotland is to smoke...

If you're enjoying the Scottish accent, then you may enjoy the audios that I make for my daily devotionals...you might not agree with the content, but it will keep your Gaelic ear in tune.

www.glenkirk.blogspot.com

Sarahlynn said...

Amanda, it seemed to depend on where we were. In some areas: no midges. In other areas: lots!

Stushie, my first reaction was, "We're both Prebyterian; surely we have more similarities than differences!"

But the more I've read, the more I think you're right. It's hard for me to understand a Christian arguing for an execution, and arguing against mercy. Are we not taught to forgive, and not just 7 times . . .

I would not argue that we should let people get away with crimes unpunished, to let unrepentant violent criminals walk around in society. But for me to determine that I am doing God's will by causing another human being, no matter how foul, to die? Never.

Stushie said...

I guess we'll just have to disagree on our differences, yet still appreciate Scotland.

As for the mercy and grace issue. I've always wondered why Jesus allowed Judas to betray him and ultimately commit suicide. Why didn't Jesus stop him?

I also wonder about Ananias and Sapphira in Acts 5. They were executed on the spot with no lengthy appeal.

Slainthe.

Sarahlynn said...

Slainthe!

I draw a distinction between suicide and murder/execution. I suppose your first question begs the question of why God allows any individual to live, or die, in any given way.

With regard to Ananias and Sapphira, a truly striking story, every time I read it, my response is this: If God caused the two to die for their lies, can't we draw the conclusion that God knows what's in our hearts, and what sort of punishment is appropriate?