Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Take, Eat

A kindergarten teacher gave her class a “show and tell” assignment. Each student was instructed to bring in an object to share with the class that represented their religion. The first student got up in front of the class and said, “My name is Benjamin and I am Jewish and this is a Star of David.”

The second student got up in front of the class and said, “My name is Mary. I’m a Catholic and this is a Rosary.”

The third student got in up front of the class and said, “My name is Tommy. I am a Presbyterian, and this is a casserole."

I found this here.


The congregation to which we currently belong does less with casseroles than others I've attended, but I like the spirit of this joke. This is where Christian community is for me, for my family of faith. In sharing a meal together. In smothering a hurting/mourning/celebrating/busy family with hot dishes. When a new baby is born, we take over a blanket and a casserole and the message is this: when things get rough, we are here for warmth and comfort and nourishment. We learn together, worship together, play together. And we always bring food.

As we serve, we say: "Come, share this bread with me."

7 comments:

brooke said...

i heard a similar joke as soon as i started showing up at first presby. but, the meaning is bigger than just the joke, as you pointed out. pastor p. talks more about community and being christian than i've ever experienced in any other spiritual place.. and i see it reflected in the websphere. on twitter i'm connected to more presbys than anyone else. (thanks in large part to bruce r-c's work). i feel like i break bread with presbys on twitter all the time.

:)

looks like your word count is going well for nanwrimo. :)

Anonymous said...

In my tradition, we bring a kugel and say, "I would've brought bread but I heard that bread's not good enough for you anymore. Enough with the gluten-free, already."

Sarahlynn said...

Brooke, I love that imagery of "breaking bread" on Twitter!

Bingol, I love that. Love it! And I didn't know you were friends with my college roommate. Tell her I miss her; she didn't have to move so far away.

Barrie said...

I actually laughed out loud at the casserole joke!

Sarahlynn said...

We usually tease ourselves for the casseroles (thanks, Garrison Keillor!) but I enjoyed the way this joke turns them into a positive.

Simon Hay said...

Thats cool. Made me smile. I came via editorial ass. Thanks for the smiles.

Sarahlynn said...

I love Moonrat. Thanks for stopping by, Simon!