Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Crafts

Since Ellie started therapy an an infant, we've been preparing Christmas gifts for her various teachers and therapists each year.

The first year, we made hot chocolate candles. This one is probably my favorite of all of our Christmas crafts. The brown wax is chocolate scented, and the frothy white whipped cream is scented like vanilla and sugar:



The next year we made appletini candles, which looked and smelled good enough to devour.



We've also made cinnamon bun candles. These too were double scented and colored (also very time-consuming, since we only had one mold). For some reason, we didn't take pictures of these, and this cropped close-up of my mother-in-law's hands is the best I've got.


Last year, we went really simple and compiled little bags of homemade Paula Deen-style chocolate cheese fudge. This was easy and delicious, so I think I'll make a batch every Christmas until the end of time. (I made 2 batches tonight!)

This year, we made 12 (TWELVE!) Christmas trees out of homemade star-shaped sugar cookies. It took forever, but I love the way they turned out. And fortunately they made the trips to the girls' schools intact.


Tonight, we finished wrapping and most of the baking. Wahoo!

6 comments:

Barrie said...

I was looking at candles at Target last night. Yours are much cuter.

Amanda said...

Those are awesome! I'd be totally tempted to make some, if it wouldn't take about a year using a toaster oven.

Tracey said...

WOW!!! I am beyond impressed. I wish we could do more crafty things like these, but I tend to resort to gift cards for our teachers. Then again, we don't have 12 people to take care of, but now we are down to 5 (counting Bus Driver Bob). :)

Cate said...

Those are awesome! All of them, but the hot chocolate candles in particular. Wow.

I'm a complete slacker in the gifts-for-therapists department.

Anonymous said...

I like those Christmas trees made out of cookies, they're so cute and looks so yummy! I'll add these to my list of Christmas craft ideas to do next year.

Sarahlynn said...

I really love doing crafty things like this, that require NO SKILL WHATSOEVER. Because I am about the least crafty person ever. Paul can build furniture. But that's a bit time-consuming for teacher/therapist gifts!

And, truth be told, what I really love is the praise . . . well, at least that's part of it. I also like the sense of accomplishment. And I'm kind of cheap, too. :)

But I can't take too much credit. I almost always find ideas on the internet.

Thanks, Barrie! In the end, I probably spent more that I would have at Target. But it's the thought that counts, right?

Thanks, Amanda! We made ours on a stovetop. Do you have a burner hot enough to melt wax? A toaster oven . . . yeah, I think that's a non-starter.

Tracey, trust me, no skill is required! And the internets provide very easy step-by-step instructions!

Thanks, Cate! I'm thinking we might repeat the hot chocolate again next year, if I can find more cool glass mugs cheaply on eBay.

Thanks, atasha! The cookie cutters and instructions can be found online lots of places, including The Magic Cabin, Target, and Kohls. (It's not carried in the chain stores, as far as I can tell, just online.) Just search for Festivitrees.