Thursday, December 07, 2006

Baby Update

Yesterday, I passed a new pregnancy milestone. With fewer than 5 weeks to go until my estimated due date, I had my first weekly internal exam. And let me just say that, while I really like my doctor, I don't love his freakishly huge hands.

I've gained 24 pounds so far this pregnancy (not bad). My blood pressure was 104 over 72 (I rock). I'm 0 cm dilated and 0% effaced, with "some softening of the cervix." In other words, I'm in perfect shape for being 35 weeks pregnant.

My left ankle has started to swell just very slightly at the end of the day, and I'm not exercising as much - standing up feels like exercise these days - but otherwise I'm just me, carrying a large bundle on my belly. And I do mean large bundle. I'm still measuring ahead of dates, as my mother did with her three pregnancies and as my younger sister is also currently doing. We'll call that genetics.

In other news, we're having a Christmas open house on Sunday (late) afternoon, so if you're friendly and mean me no harm, you're welcome to stop by. And, also, I'm still married. Nearly 10 years of habit makes it surprisingly easy to continue on (mostly) as normal, in the most surreal circumstances.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

We'll see you Sunday!

Rob Monroe said...

If it's okay, Anny and I will be a little late to your Open House... but only about three weeks!

So glad to hear that things are on a normal pace for your pregnancy! Such great news!

selzach said...

I'm glad you are well. I can't believe you're at 35 weeks already.

I've been wondering how you're doing and glad to hear you're OK.

selzach said...

Sorry about the repetitiveness in the last comment. I'm obviously not the sharpest today. Need sleep.

Camera Obscura said...

As a non-mother, I'd always found pelvic exams uncomfortable. I thought it was just me, my build or something.

My multi-doc ob/gyn practice has their expectant mothers make their way through all the doctors in the practice for their exams, because you never know which of 'em is going to be on-call when the kid decides to come. That way, you don't have the eyes of a total stranger staring at you from between your legs while you're delivering.

When I got to the internal exam phase, I discovered exactly why previous yearly exams seemed so uncomfortable. I apparently have the doc in the practice with either the shortest fingers or the widest hands. (grin)

I stayed with the nice man, and after popping out 25-lbs worth of babies, it's not such an issue any more.

kairos said...

Good luck these last few weeks....

ccw said...

This pregnancy has flown by, for me anyway. I can't believe it is almost time. So exciting!

Redhead Editor said...

I'm with CCW. This pregnancy has flown by... for me. Yah, and about that "second kid coming faster thing"?? First one - 4 hours. Second kid - 53 minutes. Two weeks early. I missed my own "shower" at work. I'm predicting New Year's Eve! Just to shake things up and prove you lost control of the situation!