Monday, July 17, 2006

I Like My In-Laws

This morning, I was falling asleep during a meeting about our European Dentistry publications. I stepped out to buy myself a cuppa coffee and a bagel as an energizer, and had my first embarrassing pregnancy question. Last week I had my first spontaneous belly touch, so I suppose it's time for the questions.

"How long do you have left?" the cashier asked.

"Quite a long time, actually. I'm in my 4th month."

"You're kidding me!"

No! And I'm nothing on my friend Jeni, who has a toddler Ellie's age, 1-year-old twins, and is due in December with #4. Her poor little body has been pregnant for most of the past 3-1/2 years, and she looks about 7 months along already. Her back already hurts. It's going to be a long 5 months for her, I think.

But I did "pop" a bit this weekend. It was Saturday and I felt awfully uncomfortable. I didn't eat much. I went to lie down in my room. I started feeling better, so I got back up and put myself together to rejoin society. Ugh. Other than getting vertical, what had I changed? Ah.

While I was lying on my bed, I'd unfastened my shorts. It seems that they are suddenly too tight. It looks like I might be almost ready to jump from clothing two-sizes-too-big into maternity pants. Already! But the large, shapeless maternity things and the kangaroo pouch pants are too big still. Bah humbug.

Ellie's been feverish, congested, and up at night coughing again. We're headed down to Children's later today to make sure that her pneumonia is gone. (I hope so I hope so) But in the meantime, there's no school today for the recently feverish. It's worked out very nicely that Paul's parents are here visiting this week. Right now, I'm at work (waiting for my internet connection and email to come back up so that I can work), Paul's at work, his dad's installing a new vanity in our guest bathroom, and his mom is watching Ellie. Perfect!

That's not why I love them, it's just an example of how thoughtful they are. What do you do for summer vacation if you live in the beautiful Wyoming mountains? Apparently, you drive to muggy, hot St. Louis to help out "the kids." And the kids will appreciate every minute of it. Especially the cooking and dish washing and the no-longer-dripping faucet. And the Ellie watching.

7 comments:

Psycho Kitty said...

I cannot believe I missed your announcement! I'm so happy for you, and sorry it took me so long to get a clue and say so!

Shelley said...

hello - I found your blog via always chaos - I know exactly what you mean about inlaws - I couldn't imagine life without mine they are so wonderful! Congrats on the pregnancy, as the mother of twins I am naturally biased towards the number two (unless of course fate is ever kind enough to bless me with a number three!).

Rob Monroe said...

I like your in-laws too! They are so good about traveling to see the "kids" during the summer. Their time here was great, and not just because I took almost all of a week off of work!

I can't believe that Iowa is this weekend! I'm looking forward to seeing you, and I promise that I won't rub your belly and guffaw when you tell me how far along you are!

hybrid said...

I missed your announcement, too! Congratulations, Sarahlynn!!!

Unkempt Mommy said...

The things people say to preggy women really crack me up! My 6 mo pregnant friend and I were fabric shopping when a clerk asked "You must not have much longer to go, do you?" She politely said she still had 3 months before the babe was due.

With wide eyes and sort of a smug attitude, the clerk replied "Oh my gosh! You're going to have a horse!" Wow.

I was really proud of my friend when she told the clerk that she knew the birth was going to be a wonderful experience and her baby would be nothing but beautiful.

I wonder why people think it's okay to make rude comments about size and weight to pregnant women??

:)

Kristibelle said...

Hi Sarahlynn! I was tipped off that you were pregnant and I just wanted to stop by and say congratulations. You and sweet Ellie are in my thoughts a lot!
Take care :)

Sarahlynn said...

Seasonalkat, I think I wouldn't be so self conscious about it all if it weren't for all the belly fat. But then again, maybe I would be. Who knows?!

PPB, me too, me too. As long as we don't talk race.

PK and hybrid, thank you!

Hi, Shelley! I am biased toward 3, myself. Good luck!

Rob, Iowa was awesome! (Except for my durn cold.) So good to see Raw Banany again.

eipwek, it is indeed a mystery. My count is up to two spontaneous belly touches, now.

Kristibelle, hi! You and GFriend coming by in the same week! You're making me all nostalgic!