Monday, July 24, 2006

Fizzle, Melt, Chill

OK, here's what happened.

Paul's parents arrived on Friday night and stayed until Wednesday noon. I worked a little longer than usual that afternoon, while Paul stayed home with Ellie (who had a cold with fever). I got home and heated up some dinner while Paul gave Ellie her bath.

We'd just sat down to eat when we noticed that there was lightening to the north. Then the trees to the south went flat. Then the power went out. Then the storm struck. It was a quick Midwestern thunderstorm, didn't seem too unusual. We spent a little time in the basement with the hurricane lamp when the tornado sirens were going off, then opened all the windows as the rain passed and went to bed early.

On Thursday morning, as the outside temperature climbed higher than the inside temperature, I closed up the house and made plans. Both of Ellie's therapists cancelled her home visits, so we went to Walgreens (power!) the Post Office (power!) the gas station (power!) and the mall (power!). I was really glad to have air conditioned places to hang out, but I think it's pretty annoying when all the local homes are without electricity while the local businesses are lit up like football stadiums. Stadia?

Ellie fell asleep on the way home from the mall and took an uncomfortable nap in her bed. After that, no air conditioned businesses or cars were enough to make her happy. She was hot and she was pissed. This matched my mood nicely. My mom stayed home, glued to The Weather Channel all day, and called me regularly from Indiana with updates.

"Now they've called in the National Guard to help evacuate the elderly and people who can't get out on their own!"

I called Paul. I called him again. I left messages. He was very busy at work, where there was plenty of air conditioning. When he got home, he found two very hot and cranky women who were half-packed, sweaty, and ready to leave town.

So we took off for his family's annual reunion in rural Iowa a day early, and spent a cool, rainy night in a hotel in Kirksville, MO. With air conditioning.

Our electricity came back at some point over the weekend. Wahoo! And, somehow, the fish even survived. (Lizzi the pug came with us.) But, as usual, I was frustrated by having to throw away all the food in my frig and freezer, especially the huge box of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. The frig hasn't been this clean since, well, since last August's big 3 day power outage.

I used to love thunder storms as a kid. Now they make things really uncomfortable. Or deadly. And Parents magazine tells me that I should take my children inside as soon as I see the first silent bolts of lightening in the distance, not letting them go back out to splash in the puddles until well after the storm has ended. It's amazing I've lived this long.

10 comments:

Sarahlynn said...

Yep! I know Valerie too (and her two little girls). Small world, indeed! Ellie and I are at some of those playdates.

Kay Olson said...

Hey GFriend -- Blue Lily here. If you follow the link to my blog, there are several blogs listed in my sidebar written by people with various forms of autism, if that's helpful to you. Look for "AutismDiva", "BallastExistenz", and "Neurodiversity." Take care.

flatflo said...

Some of my most vivid childhood memories are sitting on the front porch during storms, wrapped in blankets and watching Hampton Avenue flood. Every car or bus going by would send huge plumes of water into the air. I would think hustling a child into the house when a hint of a storm rumbles through would lead to irrational fear of lightning & thunder. Just my dos pesos.

alittleposy said...

Oh, man -- you have my sympathy! We had record-breaking temps here (Sacramento-area, Northern California) over the weekend and I was praying our a/c would survive it -- told my husband if it went down, we were heading to the Holiday Inn Express, no questions asked! And like Ellie, I have been suffering with a summer cold -- no fun. I'm glad you have your power back now!

Camera Obscura said...

Durnit girl, will you please contact me when you lose power -- I never lost it; you could have kept yourselves and all that chicken cold. I'll email you my telephone number.

Sarahlynn said...

Hey, GFriend! Great to hear from you! I looked around for that post, and finally found it here:
Also, do you read Flea's blog? Also, maybe check out The Least of My Worries in my "Double Dutch Mamas" sidebar. Do you blog? I'd love to catch up with you and read more about Eli . . .

Flatflo, I think the porch is a perfectly wonderful idea. And that reminds me to call our contractor and find out where the heck his bid for our new porch is. Hmmm.

Tracy, I very much enjoyed my stay in the Holiday Inn Express on Thursday night! And I'm (finally!) nearly over my summer cold.

Seasonalkat, I am so glad that you had somewhere to go and that you didn't lose the frozen liquid gold!

Camera, I'm thinking that I wouldn't call for myself, but for the chicken? Oh, I would have called for the chicken.

Sarahlynn said...

Foe heaven's sakes. It's TRACIE, not Tracy. Sorry!

Sarahlynn said...

Bah! The link, the link for GFriend!

God Bless You, Honey

Redhead Editor said...

I must live down the street from Seasonalkat. Was she aware that Oberweis had to give away all their ice cream? I couldn't believe our downtown area had power, but no one lives Downtown. Had to eat at Johnny Rocket's. It was equally frustrating when our neighbors across the street got their power on Friday, and we didn't get it till Saturday. We just looked longingly out our window at their lights! But the whole time, I kept saying, "Thank God I'm not pregnant." I don't do heat well when I'm not pregnant so I really couldn't handle the lack of a/c if I were in your condition!

karen said...

If it wasn't a rhetorical question, the answer is stadia.

If it was, I'm sorry. I'm geek who loved studying Latin and found your blog through Grace's who linked by a mutual friend. Not a complete random stranger. Just a complete stranger. So much better, I think.