Sunday, September 11, 2005

Mary, Mary Quite Contrary

Today's annoyance related to magnetic awareness ribbons on cars:

I'm a contrary sort. If you tell me to do something, even if I was already planning to do it, I'll suddenly feel less inclined to comply. I don't do well with direct orders; it's a good thing that I'm not in the military.

When I lived near Fort Riley (home of the First Infantry Division) during the first Gulf War, I wore a bracelet in support of the soldiers over in the desert. These soldiers were the parents of friends, the boyfriends of friends, people I knew from around town. Just because I didn't like the war didn't mean that I didn't support the soldiers.

But my first reaction to those bossy "Support our troops!" ribbons and signs is: Don't tell me what to do!

Come on. Shell out the extra dough for two more letters: We Support Our Troops. Tell me how you feel, not how I should be feeling. Please.

6 comments:

Belovedlife said...

Good observation! I have often made similar comments to my friends myselF!

Piece of Work said...

I hate those ribbons. They are so self-congratulatory, don't you think? Not to mention bossy!

(here via Trisha)

Sarahlynn said...

I wonder if God minds being bossed around with all the "God Bless America!" stuff.

Martina said...

Excellent points. It is difficult for me to understand why it is that some can't get the distinction between supporting a war/the governmental policies that lead to one and supporting the troops. As for those ribbon stickers, you're not the only one annoyed by them. Why is it that 90% of the time I see one, it is glued to the back of a giant, gas guzzling SUV?

Camera Obscura said...

I hate all those ribbons, anymore even the ones for Breast Cancer, which is where it all started and where it should have stayed. Shakespeare's Sister found a website that lets you make your own magnetic ribbon, supplying four different backgrounds, and for a price they will make it up for you. I designed one that said "Just another sheep" but didn't have it made up.

Sarahlynn said...

Camera, that is the *coolest* link! I love all of those ribbons.