Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Practical Magic

I just finished making some fabulous Boston Baked Beans (with salt pork) from scratch.

The process took 24 hours. They're delicious . . . but they're going straight into the frig.

When I realized that dinner was not going to be done on time, I had ten minutes to throw together an alternative meal. Thanks to the wonders of modern kitchen appliances and convenience food products I managed to get thick slices of oven-warmed ham, mashed potatoes, a medley of vegetables, and cheddar garlic biscuits on the table in time for Paul and the girls to enjoy before dance class.

I do enjoy from-scratch cooking sometimes. But I'm really really glad I don't have to do it for every meal!


***


Oh, and that nap thing last Tuesday? It was totally a birthday present. Teddy still refuses to nap during the day. At all. Even though he really needs the sleep. But at least he's a good sleeper at night!

3 comments:

Rob Monroe said...

Our dinner on Monday was version three of the plan for the salmon. We did not have the right stuff for the first one, not enough stuff for the second. Finally ended up using the suggestion on the packaging! We have already instituted a new plan for planning/shopping/prepping dinner so that there is less confusion in the whole system now, but this was a holdout on the meal plan from a few weeks ago... :)

Sarahlynn said...

I find the not enough stuff/wrong stuff mix-ups so frustrating! That's exactly why I'm so particular with my shopping lists. (Which doesn't stop someone from eating one of my ingredients before it has time to make it into the right dish, but that's a whole different issue.)

In this case I had everything I needed, but cooking dried beans just takes time - apparently more time than the recipe suggested.

Barrie said...

I'm moving into crock pot meals a couple of times a week. At least until after high school water polo season.