Sunday, February 25, 2007

My Thumb

Last Monday, my thumb started to hurt. This wasn't terribly unusual, though it was worse than normal. I pick at my cuticles, and sometimes they get infected. I didn't remember picking at this cuticle, but I barely remember my own phone number these days, so I wasn't concerned.

By bedtime, my entire thumb was angry red and very swollen. It got worse throughout the week. Finally, on Thursday night after Grey's Anatomy, I went to a local ER and had the thumb x-rayed, lanced, and drained.

The next morning, I went to my doctor. He asked me how my finger looked compared to the day before. "This is better?" he said. He lanced it again, in three places. I'm on antibiotics and am soaking my thumb in Epsom salts three times a day, periodically squeezing more pus out.

It's quite gross, and significantly uncomfortable. Also, it hurts to type. (Paul says that normal people don't use their thumbs to type. I use my thumbs a lot.) So. Pictures!

Before.
From 2007-02

After.
From 2007-02

It's still quite disgusting underneath. And, sadly, the really cool big bandage was only for one night. Now I just wear a band-aid or go naked.

8 comments:

ccw said...

Ouch! Hope your thumb is better soon.

Rob Monroe said...

I'll start with "thanks" for the picture.

I use my thumbs to type all the time. I have ten fingers to use for typing, I might as well use all ten of them! As I'm typing this, I'm noticing that I really only use my Right Thumb, not the left one. Hmmm...

Get well soon!

Angela said...

You know, if they have to remove it completely, they can always sew a toe to your hand to make up for it...

Or so I hear.

Psycho Kitty said...

Ohhhh, no. That's not good.
But if it makes you feel better, my ex once ended up in the emergency room at midnight getting a boil lanced...a boil on his a**.
So, you know...thumb's a pain, but coulda been worse. :)
(And I can barely type this out because now I'm all conscious of what my thumbs are doing. Yikes.)
xo

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! You are my hero for posting about choice at the beginning. Oh, and for typing with an infected thumb.
Thanks for your wise and cogent arguments, and for being willing to engage the tough issues feminists with children with disabilities face.

alittleposy said...

My daughter and I have both had this happen -- mine opened up and drained on its own before needing medical attention, fortunately, but poor Rachel's got terribly infected, tested positive for strep (!?), and eventually the nail came off (bleah! fingers are supposed to have nails!!!) Anyway, very painful stuff -- I hope you are feeling better soon!

~ Tracie

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, yes, ouch! Not better yet, though . . .

You're welcome, Rob! It could have been worse - I could have posted a picture of oozing pus. You'll have to ask Paul about it; he's been forced to look at it daily.

Angela! I hadn't thought of that. Now I'm remembering Jeff's pictures. Perhaps my sandal-wearing days are over . . .

PK, yuck. But at least he could still have changed diapers without oozing on the baby!

Thank you, Amy!

Tracie, the doctor says I'll probably lose this nail, like your daughter. Shudder.

Jess, exactly!

Thanks, SK. It's not, but maybe soon?

Jessica said...

Ouch! Missed you at book club tonight.