Sunday, October 15, 2006

A Life of Its Own

I went to wash inside my belly button in the shower the other day, and realized that this is no longer possible. I no longer have a belly button.

"Yeah, I noticed that earlier today," Paul admitted when I mentioned it.

This would be because of the fact that I can't see my own belly button very easily anymore, but it's all too easy for him to see it as I've taken to walking around the house looking like baby Huey. Note to self: buy maternity pajamas. Wearing regular flannel pants and non-maternity t-shirts around the house is simply not flattering in your current state.

I have noticed that the skin at the top of my navel, which I can both see and feel, is becoming quite tight. Thankfully, I have never pierced my navel, or I would certainly be exceedingly uncomfortable right now. I'm simply not the navel-piercing type, though I admit that I faked it briefly.

Lo these many years ago, when I was trying to attract Paul's attention, I did purchase a fake belly button ring and wear it around him. This was not as easy as it sounds, since it was December in the mid-1990's, when it was still fashionable for women to wear clothing in the winter.

Anyway, in addition to my tightly stretched belly button, I have also been feeling a sharp tug in the skin on the upper right part of my abdomen. I know all too well what this means: a new stretch mark will soon appear. I already look like the victim of a violent crime - I have the worst stretch marks I've ever seen from my first pregnancy - so I acknowledge the appearance of a new one with resignation and a little resentment.

No new stranger belly touches to report today, and the usual whispers of "when is she due?" have been following me around wherever I go, but I did have an interesting experience yesterday when another writer in my writer's group told me that I look very good, then asked if I am still pregnant. Really!

A few days earlier, wearing a non-maternity Walt Disney World t-shirt with a slightly distorted Mickey Mouse stretching across my mid-section, I had to announce my pregnancy to Ellie's Parents As Teachers parent educator, as an explanation for why I wanted to schedule another visit in a few months, when clearly Ellie has aged out of the program. She honestly didn't notice! So perhaps my shape changes on an hourly basis.

I nearly ended the whole thing last night, inadvertently. I have an obnoxious cold (I'm not blaming you, Jessica!) so I made myself a cup of herbal tea before bed. I just grabbed the first tea bag in the basket, without paying too much attention to what it was, and lay down to rest. Suddenly, the baby started doing back flips and trying to force its way out of my belly through the skin rather than a more conventional route. Raspberry leaf tea. Apparently a uterine stimulant. Used homeopathically by some women to calm Braxton-Hicks contractions, but more often used to stimulate labor and/or induce miscarriage. So. Now we know that my uterus reacts strongly to raspberry tea; time to put that box away for another 12 weeks or so.

7 comments:

ccw said...

My belly button was pierced when I got pregnant with Kid L. I kept the jewelry in until my stomach really started stretching. I was afraid it would tear.

Don't worry, you're navel will return before you know it.

BriteLady said...

Some people/books/sites recommend the raspberry leaf tea to help "tone the uterus" (i.e. make it contract to help work its way up to labor). It's supposedly safe after the first trimester, but clearly you are more sensitive to it than others :) It is also supposed to be good for morning sickness, but with the 1st trimester warnings, I can't see how that would help most people...

Apparently my belly button is bottomless...it never popped with Charlotte (I still had an in-y when I arrived at the hospital in labor). It does, apparently, hide a mole which is due to reappear in another month or so (as far as I can tell). At least all of my belly-button stretch marks got sucked back into my black hole postpartum last time, leaving only my lower abdomen looking like it was gored by a lion (luckily, I never intend to show off that part of my abdomen in public...or any part of my midsection, for that matter) :)

Sarahlynn said...

CCW, I've read the some women can keep their piercings and have no problems with them. Given the way my belly stretches; I am not one of those women!

I have a friend whose father didn't think he's ever be able to sell their house, so he would always talk about, "When the fire comes . . . " as if it were inevitable.

I've taken to talking about, "After the necessary c-section with our 3rd baby [or 3rd & 4th, as baby #3 often becomes twins in my fantasies] I am going to ask the OB to have plastics come in and tidy things up a bit down there. If I'm going to be recovering from major abdominal surgery anyway, I might as well get a tummy tuck out of it! I'm kidding. Sort of.

Kristi, that's what I've read, too. It's interesting that I'm so sensitive to it; usually I'm not very sensitive to herbs and medicines and things. You make your belly button sound like it's got a life of its own! I'm imagining one of those Return of the Jedi - style pits with teeth right now. : )

SeasonalKat, did that feel funny? I mean, did the scar tissue pull at all during your pregnancies?

I haven't had a good connection with my PAT parent educator. I'm hoping it's because of Ellie's special needs (and the fact that I was usually more educated than she on most issues, given Ellie's extensive therapy schedule with which I was heavily involved). I'm hoping that things are very different this time around.

Trisha, that's unreal! Seriously! Totally clueless, and working at an OB's office, too! She deserves a smack with a wet noodle.

PPB- hah!

Jessica said...

I'm behind in blog posting and reading and am just now seeing this....I hope I didn't make you sick! I still have it...yuk.

I also still have a belly ring. Sigh. I was 19 whenever I pierced my naval and, although I still like my little rod, I often wonder when I'm going to take it out and whether or not it will be before or after I am pregnant.

Sarahlynn said...

Jessica, I am so miserable! I am hoping that I feel better soon. Ugh.

If I had a belly ring, I'd definitely keep it, then remove it if/when it started to pull a little. Everyone stretches differently . . .

Erin MacPherson said...

This is great.. I'm going to quote you on Parent's Connect, a parenting website.

Erin MacPherson
erin.macpherson@parentsconnect.com

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks!