Monday, May 22, 2006

Peer Group Diversity

Applying to college was a multi-year experience for me. I can't remember a time when I didn't think I would go to college, and when I didn't think about where I'd go. My mom's oldest brother has something like 7 kids (2 by birth, one adopted at birth, and at least 4 foster "kids" with whom he and his wife maintain a life-long relationship). His philosophy about paying for college was, "Sign every piece of paper they put in front of you, and it will all work out somehow."

My parents' philosophy about paying for college was sort of similar - don't talk about it. Perhaps they talked between themselves, but they encouraged us girls to make our decisions without worrying too much about the price tag. We all went to private colleges, we all had scholarships, we all came out with hefty student loans that we might never pay off, and our parents remortgaged the house. It all worked out.

Since I wasn't paying much attention to tuition costs, that freed me up to focus on other criteria.

I looked closely at national ranking, of course. And some of the Fisk quality-of-life type ratings. I also looked very closely at what percentage of the student body lived on campus (high was desirable) and what percentage of the student body was Greek (low was desirable). And I paid a lot of attention to sex and race ratios. I wanted to go to a school that had a good amount of diversity.

I'd grown up in a community where "minorities" were the majority. Late in my sophomore year of high school, we moved to an extremely white and (upper) middle class community where there was very little diversity of any kind.

A high school friend of mine worked with a black guy from a neighboring community. His co-worker came to pick him up one day, in their job's van. He got a little lost. A black guy in a van driving around the block a couple of times in broad daylight? Someone called the cops. That's the kind of community where I finished high school.

But it's hard to tell a lot about a school from rankings and rating and guidebooks and brief campus visits.

Wash U has a lot of racial, ethnic, and religious diversity. But, at least at the time I went there, it wasn't very well integrated. My dorms, most of my classes, my co-ed service fraternity, my friends - mostly white.

Then I graduated and got a job in the community. Almost all of my coworkers are white.

My husband and I drove around town and visited lots of communities. We saw one that looked perfect, and seemed to be pretty nicely integrated. We bought a house. It's a lovely community. Very poorly integrated. The many students of color in the local schools are part of an active bussing program from the inner city.

In short, most of the people at our jobs, our church, or neighborhood, and our peer group look just like us.

Laziness helped this to happen. Going along with the flow, choosing an easy path and not stretching out of our comfort zone. Periodically, Paul and I discuss finding ways to fix this, but we don't know where to begin.

Last night, I was humbled to have a discussion with a friend who's found herself in a similar situation. She sits down a couple of times a year to try to figure out ways to break through the way that this community tends to segregate itself.

She has signed her three-year-old up for classes at public parks in parts of the city that have higher populations of African Americans and other racial and ethnic groups. She's made an effort to take her child places on the bus, when their own car would be more far convenient.

And they do a lot of volunteering, but that's what's really bothering her lately. Most of the people of color who her young son sees are people he's helping, not friends of his parents. And she's very concerned about the message that's sending.

This is someone who's making a real effort. She's a great friend, a great person, and a new role model for me.

4 comments:

Canada said...

Oh, I can relate. I started high school in Toronro, Ont, and it was very diverse and I had friends of many different backgrounds and races. Then we moved to the suburbs of Ottawa for my last year of high school. Imagine my shock to discover that the minority group were the farmers' kids who were bussed in. They were distinguishable by their jeans and workboots. But it was just so . . . white.

In one of life's true ironies, we live in a nearby Ottawa suburb (hubby's job with the federal gov). It is far more diverse that it used to be, I'm happy to say. And we go to a church downtown that is really diverse - the church has sponsored refugees from many countries, who integrate nicely into the parish community. There are even people of different religions who attend, because it is a welcoming church. Hopefully my children will see diversity all of their life, and embrace it as they do now.

Amanda said...

Both my husband and I grew up in towns with low diversity. We were looked for a house in a neighborhood that was very diverse. Our public school is also diverse. My son is good friends with a black boy who lives a few houses away and goes to his school. My next door neighbors are black and the others are indian. I grew up in a horriby racist family and do not want my children to have the same experience. You may find that when Ellie goes to school you'll find the diversity you are looking for her.

Sarahlynn said...

PPB, very nice illustration. My experience was much the same (as far as what was important initially becoming obscured throughout the experience).

Canada, a downtown church - what a good idea. I often say that it's only the pastors at my current church that are keeping us there so firmly. If our current associate leaves . . .

Amanda, when it looked like Ellie would be going to Kirkwood schools, we had a chance at that. But unless we move before Kindergarten . . . not so much. One of her preschool best friends right now is African-American, but her future school district is . . . ugh. Good academically. Like my second high school.

SeasonalKat, that is cool about the Wash U daycare, and a very good point. I think that setting that example very young - when kids are developing their views of what's "normal" is so important. Probably even more important than what they experience a little later on.

BriteLady said...

In my high school of over 1000 kids (a public one at that), you could count the "minorities" on one hand. Two of the black kids--brother and sister--had lived a couple of houses down from me. The brother was the same age as I was, and we've known each other since we were about 2 years old. Our families are still good friends, though they now live in another state. When I was little, I knew they looked different, but then so did all of the other non-blonde kids I played with.

Damian was a pretty good athlete, and his dad had played college basketball at one of the bigger schools. But in high school, he faced a lot of descrimination from the coaches at our school, and his dad rented an apartment in another nearby town so he could change schools. At the first soccer game between our school and theirs, members of our school board shouted racial slurs at him while he played. That kind of attitude is one of many reasons that I didn't stay close to home when I went to college.

I am thrilled with the area we live in--Merl and I are most definitely not the majority. Charlotte has been playing a lot with a couple of Chinese boys who live next door recently (well, they're actually Americans, but the parents are Chinese). Down at our park there are always lots of hispanic families out with their kids. We hope that Charlotte grows up knowing that white is just one of many colors.